Alcohol Harm Reduction Māte Waipiro
New Zealand faces increasingly challenging alcohol-related issues
A few facts to think about:
- 600 to 1,000 New Zealanders die each year from alcohol-related causes
- 1 in 5 drinkers aged 15 years and over have a potentially hazardous drinking pattern
- New Zealand Police estimate that a third of all violence and half of all sexual assaults and homicides are related to alcohol
- Nearly a third of the population thinks that it is OK to get drunk
- More than 822,000 adult drinkers consume a large amount of alcohol at least monthly
- Overall social costs $7.85 billion per year
Community Action – Transforming Attitudes Towards Alcohol Coalition (TATA)
TATA provides strategic leadership and collaboration on alcohol-related harm, by acting as an organising and planning group to contribute towards the reduction of alcohol-related harm in the Taranaki region. NPiS coordinates this coalition.
Delaying the onset of alcohol consumption: a targeted approach with caregivers and whanau of intermediate-age children
- This project, the first of its type in New Zealand, specifically focused on the caregivers and whanau of intermediate-age children.
- The overall objective was to delay the onset of alcohol consumption by young people by educating and promoting key messages to their whanau and caregivers, using co-design strategies.
- This project involved public speaking events on the issue with renowned psychologist Nigel Latta, followed by a series of focus groups with caregivers and whanau.
- The project was successfully implemented with key strategies for promoting the messages identified. Please refer to the executive summary and project report for further information.
- We look forward to continuing on the next phase of this project – contact us and be a part of this community action project
- Phase 1 project documents:
Sale and Supply of Alchohol (Community Participation) Amendment Bill
- Click here for a copy of TATA’s submission.
If you would like to be at the forefront of alcohol harm reduction action, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
TALK TO US
If you are interested in any further information on this page please get in contact with us to discuss.
- Te Whatu Ora Taranaki – Alcohol and Drug Services
- Alcohol.org.nz – Te Hiringa Hauora Health Promotion Agency
- Health Promotion Agency – Information about national alcohol harm reduction work
- Health Promotion Agency’s Kupe data explorer: Alcohol
- Alcohol Action New Zealand
- Alcohol Healthwatch New Zealand
- Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority
- New Zealand Police – Staying Safe When Going Out
- New Zealand Police – Drugs and Alcohol: Getting Help
Of adult drinkers consume alcohol in a hazardous way
overall social costs of alcohol consumption per year
NZers die each year from alcohol related causes