Representing a coalition of local organisations and groups with an interest in injury prevention and community safety
Who We Are
New Plymouth Injury Safe (NPiS) is a Charitable Trust with links to a range of organisations, businesses and groups with an interest in injury prevention and community safety.
NPiS began as an informal coalition in 2001 when representatives from local agencies agreed to meet together on a regular basis to better align and coordinate their injury prevention priorities and activities.
Later that year, with funding support from ACC, we commissioned the first New Plymouth District community injury prevention needs assessment. This involved the analysis of local and national injury statistics and extensive consultation with a range of local organisations and individuals with an interest in injury prevention. In June 2006, New Plymouth injury Safe was registered as a Charitable Trust.
who we are
The purpose of NPiS is as follows:
To reduce the rate of injury deaths and hospitalisations by achieving a positive safety culture and creating safer environments for all people within the New Plymouth District.
NPiS achieves this through the following objectives:
Leadership and Collaboration
- Establish and strengthen effective partnerships with others working towards improving safety and injury trends, priorities and programmes
- Strengthen engagement with the Māori community
- Use data to identify leading causes of injury and harm
- Better understand Māori injury prevention priorities and ways in which the safe community can support an effective response to these priorities
Effective strategies and programme delivery
- Raise awareness, commitment and motivation to promote safety within organisations
and throughout the community
- Advocate for policy and legislative change that supports improved community safety
- Guide and support the development of plans for effective, evidence-based injury prevention within organisations that target high-risk and vulnerable groups
- Ensure evaluation is built into and completed for all programmes
Communication and Capacity Building
- Enable New Plymouth District and support neighbouring districts to maintain external accreditation criteria for Safe Communities
- Share information on injury trends, priorities and programmes.